Monday, July 12, 2010

Night Three - Part Two

So I have learned we only get one picture for each post - so this picture is of me setting up at Hat Creek, you can see the majesty of The Land Ship!

But today we drove about eight hours and have arrived on the O Coast - a Thousand Trails place called Whaler's Rest - across the 101 from the ocean. Hey, its cold here. Wow - a big change from Cali, baby... (and I mean you, baby!)

We'll tell you more about this place as we get to know it - we are here for three nights. We need to not be rattled around for a day or so.

So we have learned a few things about GPS: 1., if it wants you to turn around, just keep driving. It will come up with a new plan. 2., our GPS likes to find the smalled, skinniest, least like a road road and send us on it (especially if it is on a mountain top with cliffs and no shoulder or guard rails...yeah, its the shortest route. 3., GPS doesn't know, or won't tell us, if the "road" is in fact a road or something that may be a road if it doesn't rain or an actual interstate. To our GPS, it is all just a line we are supposed to drive on, the GPS doesn't care how good of a road it is - its just a line on a map - to the GPS.

Here's something I noticed while sitting at a small fire I built last night. It doesn't matter if I build a fire, everyone else has already built one so I'm gonna smell like a campfire no matter what. Like going to a bar in the eighties and not smoking. Why bother to deny yourself?

You, know, I still have flashbacks from Disco. I was my generation's Viet Nam. (I have the scars and nightmares, man)

So our dogs don't really like to travel in our RV. I think it shakes too much, makes too much noise and the widows are too high to see out of. Whoever doesn't drive has at least one of them on our lap. Ruby's vet gave us doggie anti anxiety meds for her, just a quarter pill does it. (Again, like disco days, who's got the Quaaludes?????) We went for a walk before sunset and found a fenced in dog run in the middle of the woods...and a golfing net. We're set for three days!!! Oh yeah, the pacific is across the street, too...

4 comments:

  1. Its always a long drive North! Enjoy the outdoors and relax.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are the pictures? I want to see the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What did you think of the Lava Forest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So what's with the GPS? Must have gotten confused with the scenery. LOL I have found that when Dave takes the wilderness route, we are in trouble. I close my eyes and hope the thing doesn't go over the side. Have you packed any rocks in storage?

    ReplyDelete